Friday, April 24, 2009

Cheri Turns 50! (wish I was still 50!)


Cheri's Butterfly Cake

I bought a book:"Beautiful Cakes - Irresistible Cakes and Cookies" by Peggy Porschen. On page 78 she has this GORGEOUS chocolate fondant covered cake w/butterflies.

I had Cheri go through the book, and pick out a cake she would like for her 50th BDay party. That's the one she chose.
So here is my first attempt at a three layered cake, covered with chocolate fondant, with ribbon, and butterflies...

I ordered the chocolate fondant, it's too hard to turn white fondant into dark brown, chocolate flavored, fondant. It was a nice soft fondant, easy to roll out.
I was pleased to find the ribbon, the turquoise in it was perfect! The butterflies are made from color flow icing. There are outlines in the back of the book, so you outline the butterfly in chocolate piping, then when its dry, you 'fill' it with a 'drippy' version of the icing. I let them dry overnight. You have to make an accordion piece of cardboard, covered with wax-paper, put a thick line of chocolate icing in a groove, and attach the wings to this warm chocolate. Let it dry. Once they are dry, you can attach them to the cake...don't forget to make small dots of chocolate on the wings.

I had a great time making this cake!

Thanks for turning 50 Cheri!!!!

KellyAnn is working on a Black Forest cake order...pix to follow!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful cake! Great inspiration for next weeks cake assignment. I'm going to follow your lead and use choc fondant with teal flowers. Also have to do butterfly cupcakes for bake sale. Chose butterfly with rounded wings last time. I like the look of yours with the torn/sharper edges. If using a thick frosting, you can do the butterfly wings without the cardboard, or use chocolate chip to prop the wings form underneath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what color did you use for the butterflies?

    ReplyDelete